Friday, September 17, 2010

pizza!

September 13, 2010
Today was our first “clinic”! We went back to KM 21, the trash dump village. It was mainly a dental clinic but Steph and I went too so that we could get the feel of it. The doc was there for a little while, but he left early to go work in Pucallpa. We gave out a few meds, and then we helped the dental team where we could. It was quite the deal packing all our equipment in the back of the truck. Three of us rode in the back and Caleb drove for the first time today! He did great, I even felt safe most of the time. He only stalled it twice. Haha. So anyway, at the clinic the dental people pulled some teeth and did a few cleanings. There really wasn’t too many people that showed up for it, which was a bit surprising but it was good practice for what is to come. Tomorrow we’re going to another village where there are about 100 families. KM 21 only has about 20 families, so it’s going to be more intense tomorrow. I hope I get to poke some people tomorrow! Haha
Lauren and I made some pizza for supper tonight! It’s pretty fun to try and make all sorts of food here. We made the dough like we do for tortillas, we had tomato paste for sauce, and we cut up lots of veggies and even a hot pepper! And we put a little garlic and cilantro on them too. It turned out so good! Everyone liked it a lot. :) I’m so excited to cook at home now, I feel so capable. If I can cook in Peru, I can cook anywhere. Haha. Cooking really has become one of my hobbies here, I like it a lot! :)
Oh, since I didn’t write yesterday I must tell you what happened. We lost power at 3 in the morning on Sunday and it was out till 3 in the morning on Monday! Now, that normally wouldn’t be that bad because we don’t use lights that much around here anyway, but when the power is out we can’t fill our water tower. Well, the water tower ran dry around noonish so we were in a pickle. Someone had told us it would probably be back on around 5 or 6 in the evening, so we were all ready for it- but alas, it didn’t come on. So we had some cold leftovers for supper. Haha. But there is one thing you can cook without water- cookies! :) Lauren and I created our own peanut butter oatmeal cookies and they were pretty much the bomb. Haha. We found all sorts of ways to entertain ourselves without power. Hanna has a super sweet camera and you can change the shutter speed on it. We did this cool thing where you write in the air with your flashlight and it captures the light and it really looks like words written in light. Its sooo cool! It’s kind of hard to explain, but I’ll try to put the pictures up soon so you can see!
Well, I have to get up pretty early tomorrow, so I’m going to head to bed. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment