Friday, September 10, 2010

guts.

September 9, 2010 at 10:16 pm


I feel like a champ nursing student. I learned how to do local anesthesia and sutures all in one day! How crazy is that?! Steph and I numbed each other’s fingers this morning. Let me tell you- that is a weird sensation. My finger got all poofy and when Steph touched it to see if it was numb it gave me the heebie jeebies. Haha :) very bazaar. Giving the anesthesia was a little scary because I’d never done it before and I wasn’t sure exactly how to do it, but the Doc said I did a good job, so I guess it was alright! Haha He tells us that we will be doing a lot of that and possibly removing people’s nails as well. That kinda grosses me out to be honest. He makes it sound like we’ll be doing a ton of stuff, so I’m pretty excited. This morning the dental team was working on a pig head because they were practicing pulling teeth. So, after they were done, we got to make cuts in it and learn how to do sutures! It was awesome. I was scared at first because when the Doc was showing us how to do it, he went to fast! And like a typical doctor, he didn’t slow down enough for those of us who have never done this before. Obviously, he’s very good at it, and very quick and he didn’t really care to slow down for us or patiently show us how. Fortunately Doctor Dianne (the dentist) was kind enough to show us in slow motion and she just really helped us out. I’m so thankful she is here. After I got the hang of it and figured out how to tie the knots right and all that it was really fun. We learned how to do 3 different types- simple, subdermal, and another that the Doc calls pack, but Doc Dianne calls it mattress. But anyway- super cool. I had a lot of fun. I really would rather poke other people with needles. :)

We’re almost done doing inventory in the pharmacy, we just need to finish labeling. That has been a LONG project. And it’s not my favorite. But, I do feel accomplished to have it all organized and everything. We are doing our first clinic on Monday I think! We’ll have to learn how to pack up all the stuff and everything. Yikes! I feel like there is A LOT of responsibility on Steph and my shoulders…

God is good, and I am tired. :) good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment