Thursday, November 11, 2010

half-full.

November 10, 2010 at 9:56 pm
Well, my spirits are a bit better tonight- but just to add another thing to this no-good-dirty-rotten week I missed a call from Mitchell this afternoon because I was out working at KM 8! I just can’t wait for a new week, I need a fresh start…
But anyway, about today- we were working at KM 8 again. This is the place that is going to our new home next week. We are working on putting rooms in the large building to make it a clinic. Yesterday when I was sick they got the frames up for the rooms so today we were putting up the walls and working on the doors. It’s like Extreme Home Makeover- Peru style! Haha. If my dad or grandpa saw the carpentry here I think that they would cringe. It’s pretty much just nailing boards together where it looks like they will fit. :) But we all worked hard and long today and got a lot done. Steph, Lauren, and I cut a bunch of boards to be the right size; and don’t be fooled- that is a work out! Then I helped Alfonso put up a whole wall. We were nailing boards up for hours! The boards have little grooves on one side so that they all fit together..in theory. I would put a board up, Alfonso would nail in the top nail, hand me the hammer and then I would do the middle nails while he held the board in place, and he would do the last one. We had a great method down for a while. I only bent a few nails, but I have to say I did pretty well; maybe I should be a carpenter. :) Then about 2/3 of the way my arm started getting tired and the wood was extremely hard so I just handed it all over to him and I just made sure he had a supply of nails and held the boards in place. It was hard work! At the end of the day I told Alfonso thanks for being a great teacher and for being patient with me, and he told me that he’d never seen a girl that was as good with a nail and hammer as I was. That made me smile- thanks dad and grandpa for teaching me so well! :) I like doing jobs like that where I can see that I’m making a difference. It’s a good feeling. So all that is left now is finishing the doors for the rooms and building a dog house. Oh, and building a water tower but I think that’s going to come later when we have more money.
So, I was thinking about my week tonight. Between Uncle Grover’s death, being sick, missing Mitchell’s call, and missing my family more than I can stand- I’m just plain worn out. But then I was thinking- we always have two choices. Our cup can be half empty, or it can be half full. And even though I feel like my cup has been emptied half way, I still have a half cup left! :) And in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 it says this- “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” How awesome is that? God promises to be the strong for us when we are the weak. That in itself makes me see my cup as half full. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment