Monday, December 6, 2010

experience.

December 5, 2010 at 8:33 pm
Well, I was going to blog last night but I got too tired and I didn’t feel like it. :) So here I am tonight ready to catch you up on the latest happenings.
Yesterday was Sabbath and church went really well here at KM 8. We got ready for church and were shocked out of our socks when we walked out to the “sanctuary” and saw 17 kids and several adults waiting for us! Steph, Lauren, and I did the kids’ Sabbath school while Cecilia had an adult Sabbath school in one of the rooms. We sang songs with the kids, told them a story, and taught them how to make a boat.
After church we went to our friend Gady’s house. We met her and her family at a clinic that we did in Ivan Sikic. They called us this week and invited us over for lunch, so we couldn’t say no! It ended up being quite the afternoon. It was the 4th anniversary for their church so they were having a big celebration. Other churches from the area were there, probably 50 or 60 people in total. There was an afternoon concert scheduled to start at 2:30 so of course it didn’t start till 3:30 and was not over until 6:30. Typical Peruvian time. :) For this concert we were told right on the spot that they wanted us to sing 10 songs. And they were not joking. Somehow we came up with 8. It was quite the ordeal. We did a little rendition of Amazing Grace-twice, Kumbaya, Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Mighty to Save, Be thou my Vision, and 2 more which slip my memory now. They just couldn’t get enough of the white people. haha :) It’s so different how things like that work here. Everything is so specifically planned at home- here pretty much nothing is planned. After the 3 hour concert there was homemade cake! My mouth was watering the whole time because I wanted to eat it so bad. haha :) Normally, I’m not a cake fan, but this is good stuff! After our bellies were sufficiently full of cake we took a million (and I’m being serious) pictures with everyone who was there. My smile got worn out. And my nickname there is Barbie girl, so there were a lot of jokes cracked at me while I was trying to eat my cake and take pictures. It was rather comical. But, probably one of those things that you have to be there for it to be funny…. Anyway, by this time it was getting rather late and time for us to head back. There were 6 of us in the group so we had to take a motocar and then 2 of us got to ride on the back of motorcycles with 2 of the guys from the church. Steph and I got the joy of being the motorcycle riders. It was really fun! :) And don’t worry mom and dad, they were just little scooter things and we went slow and not on the main roads. :)
We had promised the kids that we were going to have a youth night this Saturday night, but we got home later than expected. But since it was raining we figured that no one would show up- they never come out in the rain! As we feared, there were kids waiting for us. We ended up playing games with them till about 9 o’clock. It was fun though, they taught us some new games and we taught them some of ours too. I like hanging out with the kids and teens because they willingly help me with my Spanish or just love me even though my Spanish is still lacking…
Oh, we had another special treat on Sabbath- no water! It literally ran for about 30 minutes, and that is barely enough time to fill one big bucket. So, we ran out of dish water, then bathing water, and almost drinking water! I can’t wait to go home where I actually have a faucet that has water whenever I want/need it. You have no idea how lucky you are to have running water. Add that to your list of things you’re thankful for- I’m completely serious about that. SO many things are being added to my thankful list. It’s amazing how much you take something for granted until you don’t have it. That is something I’ve definitely learned here in Peru- don’t take things for granted. Be SO thankful for what you HAVE instead of always wishing for something better. When water becomes a luxury you know you’ve really experienced how so many people live every day and it’s pretty crazy… Living here has taught me so much about people, and just about life. It’s amazing.
So, on to today. We went to the market this morning to buy our food for the week. This week’s market adventure was meeting a new friend. We saw this guy in the market who clearly wasn’t Peruvian, and he said “excuse me” to Lauren in perfect English so that was a clue too. Steph kinda had eyes for him, but none of us went up to talk to him- we just continued on with our shopping. Well, we are over buying vegetables and the next thing we know, there he is again! We all start giggling because I had said that we were bound to run into him again. No sooner had I paid for the veggies and he was standing by us introducing himself to us and we exchanged names (his name is Ivan) and reasons why we were in Peru and such. The conversation ended with a nice to meet you, maybe we’ll see you around. We continued on with our shopping and ended up at a bakery for a little treat. As we were munching on our sweets guess who pops into the same bakery? It’s him again! I kind of think he followed us.. but who knows, it could have been coincidence. Haha :) So we invited Ivan to come with us to the church thing we were going to after our shopping was done. I was surprised because he readily agreed. We caught a taxi and shared in some pleasant conversation and overall had a good afternoon. The church thing was at Ivan Sikic again and we all helped them prepare and serve food for a fundraiser for their church. There was also soccer and volleyball, but we had to leave before the volleyball games began.. :(
Well, my computer is about to die, so I guess that means that I should end this blog soon. :)
I’m listening to Christmas music and missing home very much!! But I love this music- it makes me smile.
Ok, I’m done- good night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment